Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death and disease in Australia. Tobacco use reduces not only your life expectancy but your quality of life. Many medical conditions caused by smoking can result not just in death, but in living for years with disabling health problems.
- Every cigarette is doing you damage.
- Smoking is the largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in Australia.
- Smoking kills over 15,000 Australians each year.
- Cigarette smoke is toxic – it contains over 4,000 chemicals including those used in paint stripper, toilet cleaner, rat poison and nail polish remover.
- People near a smoker breathe in the poisons too, which can also cause them disease and premature death.
For more information about tobacco please visit Quit Now
This page was last reviewed in April 2015.